This sanctuary was built between 1607 and 1613 with offerings from the faithful following the grace and miracles performed by the Virgin Mary, frescoed in all likelihood within a small tabernacle along the road. There are no documents attesting to the pre-existence of a tabernacle, but the fact that the object worshipped was a fresco removed from its original setting leads us to believe that it was originally located in a marginetta (a small structure used as a shelter) located close to a quarry, thus giving it the name of the "Madonna della Cava" (Our Lady of the Quarry). The fresco depicts the Virgin Mary with the Baby Jesus.
Popular devotion to the Madonna della Cava hit its peak during the entire 17th century, when the church was visited by many devotees and pilgrims. This cult of worship fell into sharp decline between the 18th and 19th centuries.
Architecturally, the oratory is an interesting example of a small church with an octagonal plan, with a portico running along six of the eight sides.